Monday 3 December 2012

Advent Calendar. Day 2. Expectations.




"It came without ribbons!
It came without tags!
It came without packages, boxes or bags!...
The the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before
Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store.
Maybe Christmas.. perhaps.. means a little bit more!"
~ Dr Seuss~


AS WE WRITE OUT CHRISTMAS CARDS -
DO WE DO IT WITH HABIT OR WITH HEART?
ARE WE SAYING THE WORDS WE NEED THOSE WE LOVE MOST TO KNOW,
OR ARE WE TOO BUSY DOING WHAT IS EXPECTED OF US?


Personally I don't give Christmas cards.  Before you all start shouting 'Bah Humbug,' at me, let me explain.
I once worked for an organisation which employed a lot of staff, which meant at Christmas I received a lot of cards.  I would go through the annual ritual of getting out my Christmas card list, which would be added to yearly if I had received another card, and start the laborious task of writing them out.
Most of these people I had no direct contact with.  Our accounts manager summed it up well by suggesting if everyone signed his with their National Insurance number he had more chance of knowing who they came from.  It was then I made a decision to not send cards to work colleagues, neighbours, people up the road, down the pub, generally people I saw on a day to day basis who I could wish a Merry Christmas to if I really wanted to.
I do send Christmas cards to family/friends who live away, If I can find my address book and organise myself in time to reach the last Christmas post.

I have lived away from my family for 28 years, since the age of 18. (Yeas I am that old!!!) and within that time have possibly only spent 3 Christmases with them and that was in the early years before I married and had a family.
In a way this makes me sad as now both of my parents have passed on I have no choice.......
Its Christmas and new year time when I think of them more.  

This year I have my family coming to me. My Sister and her 4 children and its going to be amazing. Noisy and hectic but amazing, and I'm doing it because I want to. I have never spent Christmas with my Nieces and nephew and only a few with my little Sis.  I'm sure there will be lots of stories about previous festive times, some happy, some sad, but what a pleasure to be spending it with those I hold closest to my heart. 

If you are reading this and your Christmas card isn't in the post, this is for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Eating disorders awareness week 2019

I didn't just wake up one day and decide not to eat. It started with difficulties at work. I wasn't coping, was crippled with anxie...