Monday 16 July 2012

Week Two-Self Nurturing



Week two of the 'Blogging for well being' challenge and this week we are talking about self nurturing. My understanding of self nurturing would be taking time out for yourself which can be bloody hard when you hold down a full time job, have children, a family, home etc.  It is prioritising your time, learning to say no, recognising when you are become ill, stressed, anxious and allowing yourself to do something about it. Making yourself a priority without feeling guilty or bad.
Self nurturing isn't selfish, its not about denying others or not giving them your time or energy, its about looking after number one.  If you're not well emotionally and physically you wont be able to function at work, school, college or in your relationships.
I have always been a culprit of trying to do too much at once, taking on too much either practically or emotionally.  I can remember a situation about 7 years ago when I had several friends on the telephone or coming round talking to me about their relationships, problems and I was dropping what I was doing for myself to be with them.  If I didn't do that I felt guilty, I was a bad friend and unworthy of their friendship. Eventually, I became so wound up and snapped at one of them when they disregarded how I was feeling.  I realised then that I needed to put myself first, at least some of the time, without feeling selfish.
I have now found that true friends understand that and I would hope they would look after themselves in the same way.
No matter how busy your day is, no matter how little time you think you have, just try and spare some for yourself.
Have a soak in the bath, with bubbles, candles, wine and music.
Call a friend or family member.
Read a book and turn off your mobile.
Write, sing, dance.......
Go shopping and look (or buy) shoes, handbags, cupcakes whatever floats your boat.
Spend quality time with a friend, partner, pet.
Just do something because you want to, because you enjoy it,  because you can and because your worth it.




1 comment:

  1. "Self nurturing isn't selfish, its not about denying others or not giving them your time or energy, its about looking after number one."

    I think I have to borrow this definition, cause it makes a lot of sense to me. It also means putting myself on the list, other than at the bottom! xx

    ReplyDelete

Eating disorders awareness week 2019

I didn't just wake up one day and decide not to eat. It started with difficulties at work. I wasn't coping, was crippled with anxie...