Tuesday 3 July 2012

Affirmations

I was moved by this line from the film, 'The Help,'  It is spoken by the character 'Aibeleen' to the child which is  in her care. 'Baby Girl,' is shown very little love or affection by her Mother and is treated badly.  Aibeleen tells the young girl every day how important she is, and when 'Baby Girl,' is able to speaks she has her repeating the affirmation 'You is kind, you is smart, you is important.'
As Children we believe what our role models tell us. We trust their words, their decisions, their actions. This early learning makes us the adults we are today. The words can either make us or break us!
I used to think that affirmations were a load of hippy none-sense.  How can telling ourselves something daily make us feel positive about ourselves?  Telling ourselves we were ugly, fat, stupid, worthless worked didn't it? So why not turn it on its head.  Say it, believe it, live it.  Go on, after me.

I am kind, I am smart, I am Important.
I am beautiful.
I am worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I think you snuck into my head today. I am not a fan of affirmations, just cause I don't believe many of them to be true in regards to me. The one you posted? Wow. My therapist used nearly the exact words to explain how to change an ingrained thought. Maybe it IS time to change my mind... I can repeat after you, or at least try to!

    ReplyDelete

Eating disorders awareness week 2019

I didn't just wake up one day and decide not to eat. It started with difficulties at work. I wasn't coping, was crippled with anxie...